Sunday, May 31, 2009

Had it not been the Lord?

What would it be like if it had not been the Lord on our side? Who would we turn to? Where would you find the strength to continue through life's challenges? I think most of us can look inside our lives and see what we have turned to instead of Christ to fill emotional needs. Maybe it is overindulgence in food, alcohol, drugs, religion. Whoops lost everyone didn't I? Well believe it or not I believe that we can get so caught up in our religion that we do just as the pharisees, and have all the right actions, and all the right words, which equals religion, but miss out on the relationship. Sometimes I think that people use religious legalism to fulfill a need for acceptance in their life. They puff themselves up by pointing out the flaws in others, and in doing so feel accepted, and fulfilled. The goal is for your religious acts to be motivated by relationship with Christ. You can say the prettiest prayer in church, and if the relationship with Christ is not there it is of no worth. You can lead singing in perfect pitch, but if the relationship with Christ is not there, you would be just as well off silent. Sorry for the tangent, but back to my original point. So often when I am frustrated or upset, or bored, or in some way unsatisfied, I find that I turn to worldly things for comfort instead of the one who paid my debt upon the cross.

No comments: