Friday, July 17, 2009

Romans 12:1

I will for the next several posts, be going through Romans chapter 12 verse by verse, posting thoughts on each verse or asking for discussion of each verse. I feel that this study will be beneficial to me in my walk with God and hope and pray that it will benefit you as well.I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies, a living sacrifice holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. (Romans 12:1)
One of the first things that sticks out to me in this verse is the phrase, "by the mercies of God." Paul gives the credit for his request to God. He shows gratitude that God has put him in the position to request anything from them. I think that we as a body need the same attitude in our ministries, in our relationships, in our spiritual walk. the kind of attitude that honors God, in gratitude, and recognition, that without his mercy there is not any good in us.
The second thing that stands out to me is that he uses your bodies plural, then living sacrifice singular. I believe that this shows the kind of unity that God desires from his Church, and the need for the church that we all have. All of his people give their bodies to form one single living sacrifice. There can not be a lone ranger Christian. We are all a part of one body, one church, one living sacrifice. We are connected to all Christians past, present, and future, as one sacrifice holy, acceptable to God.

No comments: