Monday, September 14, 2009

What can I say?

I think that all of us have been in situations where we were talking with someone who was going through some tough times in their life, maybe it was a failed relationship, the loss of a loved, or a whole host of other things that can get someone down. For me when I find myself in these situations, I always struggle with what I should say. I feel a need to say something that will encourage them, or provide a solution, but how do you comfort someone when there is no clear solution, or how do you know what to say if it is something you have never dealt with. I think 2 Corinthians 1: 3-7 provides encouragement to me. It reveals to me the simple fact that in those times, and any other times really, it's not about me, or my experiences, or even my solutions. It is about the one whom I must turn to when I struggle. It is about God, and Christ Jesus. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort by which we ourselves are comforted by God." You see all that we can really do is point them to Christ, and pray with them, helping them bear their burden to throne of God. It is encouraging to me that this is the answer for all troubles, there are not any troubles to big for this to be the solution.

No comments: